I have never been a big recipe follower. I see cooking and baking as a time to be creative and that is why I enjoy it so much! I encourage you to play with this recipe and add whatever you think might spice it up!
This recipe is one of my mom’s but I don’t think she will mind 🙂 .
What you’ll need
- A blender or food processor
What you’ll eat
- 1 can of organic garbanzo beans – Drained and thoroughly rinsed
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ½ clove or 1 clove of garlic (depending on how much you like garlic)
- 1 large lemon
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Cayenne pepper for flavor
What you’ll do
- Pour the water and olive oil into the blender first, then add the garbanzo beans.
- Crush and cut the garlic into small pieces (you don’t want any large chunks)
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze as much juice as you can into the blender (making sure to not get any seeds in the mixture)
- Add the salt and as much cayenne as you would like. You can always add more at the end.
- Thoroughly blend the mixture. The key here is to make sure the olive oil is blended very well. It will taste weird if it isn’t.
- Pour into a bowl and sprinkle some cayenne on top.
- You are good to go!
This hummus is not going to taste like store bought hummus because it is so simple and clean! It will also be a little runnier than normal hummus. This makes it great as a dip or a spread!
After letting the hummus sit a while the oil will probably settle so I would suggest stirring it well before enjoying.